Monday, February 18, 2008

From the Ryan Center

Figured we'd update the blog while here at the Rhody-Xavier game. At half, the Musketeers lead by 10, 44-34. I have to say that I am very impressed with Xavier having seen them in person for the first time. They move well on offense both with and without the ball. They penetrate the defense and dish to wide open shooters on the wing. They've got guys who can score inside and out. And they did a great job defending Jimmy Baron in the first half. I'll tell you what, if the Rams win this one it will be an excellent win! Even with a non-effective Drew Lavender (ankle), the Musketeers look to be the stronger of the two teams in my eyes. I hope the second half changes my opinion on that.

As for the Friars, I didn't get a chance to see their loss to Gtown yet. From following it on gametracker while doing the show down here today, it appeared that Weyme had a strong game. My big question is: why did McDermott take only 3 shots? (2-3 FG) I don't know if it was the Hoyas defense or what, but McDermott needs to assert himself to be much more of an offensive force for the Friars.

I also took an intersting call on the air tonight suggesting that I seem to be "harder" on Tim Welsh now that the Friars are no longer on the Score. Criticism accepted, but with explanation.

I must preface my remarks by saying that I like Tim Welsh, personally. He's a good man and someone who I consider a friend. For that reason, it can be difficult when criticizing the job that he does. But that is MY job - to critique the "pro" team in the state.

While I have in the past pointed out, and continue to believe, that PC is one of the toughest jobs in the Big East, I have also fairly pointed out that the Friars post season performance (particularly in the Big east Tourney) has been subpar under Welsh. This is not a new criticism that I have created.

Secondly, just as with Sharaud Curry's injury this year, there have been things like injuries to other key players in the past that have hurt PC while Tim has been here. The big difference is that this team had NCAA tournament expectations placed on it (rightly or wrongly) coming into the season and I have a hard time believing that 1 player (no matter who it is) can mean the difference between an NCAA Tournament appearance and no postseason appearance at all. If that's the case, then Curry is alot better than I give him credit for or the rest of the players aren't as good as I thought they were. take your pick.

Mainly, though, it is no secret that this was a critical year for Welsh who has 1 more year left on his contract after this season. He had delivered PC to the NCAA's twice in 9 years and the expectation was that they should be back there this year as well. His 1 win in 9 years at the BE Tourney is something that hurts his resume more than the 0-2 mark in the NCAA's. We knew that since the school didn't extend him before the season that they were taking the "wait and see" approach. If he makes it to the NCAA's or even a strong showing in the NIT, they would have likely extended him. Anything less than that and it would probably mean his dismissal. Why? Well, for all of the aforementioned reasons. Plus, Bob Driscoll would be hurting the future of the program by letting him coach out the final year of his contract. Recruiting can be a dirty business and coaches competing for the same players on the recruiting trail as PC would most certainly use his "lame duck" status against him and the school. Therefore, Driscoll was faced with making a decision on Tim's future at the end of the season one way or another. It has made this season a referendum on Welsh's coaching career here at PC.

I have taken my share of calls from Friar fans not happy with the job he's done over the past few years and I admit that I have said that a coaching change should NOT be made. Mainly because there were too many years and too much money left on Tim's contract so it made no financial sense for PC. But also because I don't think that Welsh has woefully underachieved here in Providence. His NCAA and NIT appearances have been close to on par with what I would expect out of a program like PC competing in such a tough conference. To me, it's been more about two things. The poor finish to what was otherwise a great 2003-04 season and the lack of wins at the Big East Tourney.

Now, with the fans all calling for his dismissal, Driscoll and Providence College are left with little choice. The fans want change and the College almost has to oblige. And I agree. It would be bad business not to.

Having said that, I hope that Welsh is treated better these last few home games than he has been because of what I said earlier. He is a good man. He wanted to make it work and stay here for a very long time. And nobody wanted him to succeed more than me. For a variety of reasons, that didn't happen.

I wish him well wherever he winds up.

No comments: