Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The End Is Here

You probably all know by now that the Score is no longer. Nobody is sadder than me about this.

I learned of my fate and the stations at 12 noon shortly before I arrived at work when my long-time colleague Andy Gresh called to give me the heads up. He said that he and Zo had just been canned and he believed that me and Crowe were next. He was right. I appreciate Gresh dropping the dime and preparing me for what was still an unpleasant situation.

I talked to some folks and the Journal and NBC-10 about whaqt happenned and I feel no different 24 hours later. While I knew that the Score was on somewhat shaky ground from a ratings and revenue standpoint, I assumed that we would be a viable station for the immediate future because I had just signed a new 3-year deal in January. I have to admit that I wondered about the future of the Score after the 1-year stint of former PD Jim Brinson, but the GM told me in December how eager she was to sign me to a new contract so I kind of exhaled and assumed that everything was alright for the time being. Guess not!

There's no question that this was a corporate decision. At the same time, however, I have to admit that WEEI's dominance really hurt the Score. They have a great product! Plus, Providence is essentially a sports suburb of Boston and with the Sox and Pats #1, they have the budget to have Brady, Belichick, Francona, Schilling, etc. That's tough to compete with when your budget isn't even close to theirs. And let's face it, if you're a New England sports fan, you WANT to hear from those guys. I know I do!

I'm both happy and sad that I didn't get to say both thankyou and goodbye to all of the loyal Score listeners Monday. However, even if I was given such an opportunity, I'm not sure that I would have been able to handle it well emotionally.

To me, the Score and it's listeners were like one big close family. That's what made things like our annual Miami trip and the Score Pool League so great! I can honestly say that some of the best friends in my life (DP, Fitzy, Ram, Chris Humm, Tom Vierra, Joe Costa, Craig Andreozzi, Jersey Red, Bryan Morry, John Crowe and so many more) were relationships that were cultivated with Score listeners. I believe that those relationships will remain strong and never die. In fact, we're already talking about keeping our own Miami trip alive with the likes of Carl and Krista from Newport and the whole gang. I will look forward to that every year.

In closing, I do want to thank everyone who took time out of their day to either listen to or call the Score. You made the last 10+ years of my life the greatest time of my life. I will forever be indebted to you for your patronage, support and most of all your friendship.

Sincerely,

Scott Cordischi

p.s. Anyone know where I can get a job? (lol)

10 comments:

Jluca said...

Scott,

I was shocked yesterday when I tuned in to hear your show and got ESPN radio. I knew that wasn't a good sign. EEI is a fine station and all, but I don't like hearing 5 guys yell at eachother and the callers, I always enjoyed The Score and I will miss you, Zo, Gresh, Crowe and the gang.

Joe in the car

scott cordischi said...

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words. Again, it was people like you that made my job so special.

Scott

sci1957 said...

Scott, sorry to hear of the station going under. You & Gresh were excellent to listen to every day. I do enjoy eei, but I to get tired of the arguing & the lack of "sports talk" at times. I hope you will be talking on the airways locally soon. Please keep us up to date on your search for a new sports talk gig.
David in Norton

scott cordischi said...

David:

Thanks for nice comments. I am still undecided as to what exactly I want to do professionally at this point. I have had a few part time and full time offers both in and out of the business.

Job security is always something you worry about in the radio biz and as much as I love it, I'm not sure if I want to go through that again with a wife and 2 young kids to support.

I'll update the blog when I have new information.

Thanks again!

Scott

AceFrehley said...

I miss Scott Cordischi. The timing is horrible because March is always the greatest month for sports talk radio. I hope to continue to hear his voice on Brown Basketball and Football. I pray to God they let him keep that gig.

tony said...

i cant say im shocked. the score made a suicidal move when they changed from coach colletto to toilet humor. if your trying to broaden your listener base at a local sports station you dont do it by adding opie and anthony.plus, most folks around here would rather hear curt schilling than jim baron.

Brian said...

Scott,

Please do update the blog when you know what's next for you.

All the best...

-Brian

Soc said...

Scott,

Since 2001 you have been an insightful radio voice with excellent commentary on sports that concerns our area. The recent success of the Boston sports franchises has made it a real treat to listen to your analysis and despite the realities of business, I believe a void exists now in NE Sports radio.
In the meantime, please continue your blog and use your listener support to pursue a new opportunity. Hopefully we can keep you in the area.
Thanks & Good Luck
PS Doc surprised me with his effort in San Antonio last night.
Soc

Shelley said...

Hey Scott,
It's a shame that the Score is no longer, I enjoyed listening to you. You are a class act, and very knowledgeable about sports. And even though you wear your New England heart on your sleeve, you are always very patient listening to opposite opinions, without interruption (unlike WEEI).
Given the sports fervor in New England, and the huge media contingent, I'm confident we will be hearing from you again soon in a whole new context. Keep us posted on the blog, and best best best of luck in everything you do!

The guy said...

Good luck with the whole "finding a new job" thing. Tough market to be in.

Good radio is getting harder to find, and EEI isn't it. If EEI didn't get the guests, there would be no reason to listen. Their format is horrible... their ability to let the fan talk is worse. At least you guys provided an alternative for years.

We'll miss you on the air.

Good luck with everything.