Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fantastic NL Wild Card play-in game last night in Colorado. Although I have to admit that it left me thinking that MLB needs to consider adding instant replay to review crucial calls. Some say that it should only be used to determine homeruns and whether or not they were fair or foul or over the wall. I say that it should be expanded to any close call like the play at the plate in the bottom of the 13th. Holliday was out and McClelland got the call wrong! Replay clearly showed that his hand never crossed the plate because Barrett did a great job blocking the plate. As great of a finish that Colorado had to the season (14-1) in their last 15 games, are they really the team that deserves to be playing Philly in the NL Divisional Series? I'm not sure because I don't know if they would have won that game or not had the correct call been made at the plate in the bottom of the 13th. As for the "it will slow down the game too much to use replay," I say that there are ways to make sure that this doesn't happen. For instance, why not give each manager 2 challenges to use whenever he wants? I think that baseball at least needs to consider the idea of using replay this offseason.

No comments: