Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sox lose game 3 4-2

Sharing some thoughts after last night's game 3 loss:

-In my opinion, the game was lost in the top of the 2nd when the Sox failed to score with the bases loaded and nobody out. Varitek popped out to shallow left and Crisp grounded into a double play in what was a pitiful display of hitting by the bottom of the Red Sox order. Boston's 6-7-8-9 hitters are awful!

-I just can't handle J.D. Drew anymore! The next time he comes up with a big hit for the Sox it will be the first! What a bust at 14 million per year!

-Ditto for Eric Gange who cost the team about 5 games in the regular season and made the division race with the Yankees alot closer than it needed to be. He also was the losing pitcher in game 2. What a disaster he's been!

-Another key moment for the Sox last night was in the 4th when Big Papi made a bonehead baserunning mistake by running into Manny's grounder to short. He was on 2nd with no outs and ran into the first out of the inning.

-Was it me, or did the Sox seem kind of dead last night? I just didn't see the fire or passion in them last night. It was more a look of frustration.

-Now for the rest of the series. There is no doubt in my mind that the right thing to do tonight is to start Beckett on 3 days rest. Even if Wakefield pitches a gem and the Sox win, I will stand by those comments.
It's very simple, for the Sox to win the series, they need to win 3 out of 4. If you can have Beckett pitch 2 of those 4 games (and only 1 game on 3 days rest) why wouldn't you do that?
Beckett has a solid history of pitching on short rest. He has over 20 innings of work and an ERA under 2.00.
I'd rather go down swinging with my best if I'm going to lose. I hope that this decision does not prove costly for the Sox.

No comments: